1) "Did you go to the party last night?" "There was explosion" ("haya pitsuts") - means "It rocked!"
2) "An explosion of a party" ("pitsuts shel mesiba") - means "Kick ass party".
As you can probably guess, due to current events, many jokes such as "Did you take the bus yesterday?" "There was an explosion" are common. Incidentally, it can also be used as a "serious blow", as in "I got an explosion to the head", meaning "I got a serious blow to the head."
1) "Check out that bomb" ("klot 'ta ptsatsa") - means "check out that babe".
- פגז - pagaz - shell (mortar shell) - like pitsuts.
"It was a mortar shell" ("haya pagaz") - meaning it was great.
- פצצות לגבות - ptsatsot lagabot - bombs to the eyebrows - yes, it sounds just as silly in Hebrew. It means really pitsuts. Used as a standalone sentence (or with the following entry).
"How was the weekend with Ruhama?" "Ptsatsot lagabot, a7i" (bombs to the eyebrows, brother).
- פיצוצים לריסים - pitsutsim larisim - explosions to the eyelashes - like the previous sentence, it rhymes, and it sounds just as stupid. It also means exactly the same, and they are often used one after the other. There are some more explosions and explosive devices meeting various body parts in Israeli slang, but we'll skip them, as these two are the most prominent, and, well, if these two sound really silly, then the others sound, well, very really silly .
- תותח - tota7 - cannon - exteremly competent / extremely manly / stud. Used to describe men who do something really well. Said with respect.
"That football player is such a cannon" (means - he da man!).
Sex- or genitalia- related
- זין - Zayin - dick
- נשבר לי הזין - nishbar li hazayin - my dick has broken - I've had it. It can also be used by women.
1) "Enough, my dick has broken from all of this." ("dai, nishbar li hazayin mikol ze") - I've had it with all of this.
2) "What's wrong?" "My dick's broken from this professor / work / relationship / television."
- שבו"ז - shavuz - broken dicked (acronym for "shvur zayin") (i.e. "ani shavuz" literally means I have a broken dick") - means down, depressed.
"What's wrong?" "Just broken dicked" ("stam shavuz") - means "Just feeling down".
- שווה זיון - shave / shava ziyun - worth a fuck - shave is for a guy, shava for a girl. Means what it literally means - worth a fuck. Used as in "Yeah, I'd fuck him / her."
Often abbreviated to:
- שווה - shave / shava - worth - an abbreviation of "shave/a ziyun", but used more generally. This is also used by people who wouldn't say the word fuck, and they probably don't even know what it stands for. You'll see many 15 years old girls talking about how "worth" men are.
"Eize shave" - means "what a worth" - as in "what a hunk".
- לזרוק זין - lizroq zayin - to throw (a) dick - to slack off, not do what you're suppose to, because you're too lazy / don't give a shit. It also implies disrespect for the person you'er supposed to do the job for, if one exists.
1) "זורק זין?" - "Zoreq zayin?" - translates as "throwing a dick, eh?" - means "slacking off, eh?"
2) "You're throwing dick on me, and on all your friends" - means "your behaviour is pathetic - you're not trying, and this shows you don't give a shit about what I'm saying or about your friends." Often used in the army, especially by a commander who is really going to let you have it.
3) "How are you doing in Biology 101?" "I'm throwing dick".
- זרקן - zarqan - thrower (male) - female would be zarqanit - means the person throws dick a lot. i.e a lazy slacker.
- לזיין את השכל - lezayen et hasekhel - to fuck the mind - to bullshit.
אל תזיין לי את השכל; "al tezayen li et hasekhel" - don't fuck my mind - means: "don't give me that bullshit."
- זיין שכל - zayan sekhel - mind fucker - bullshit artist.
- בית זונות - beit zonot - whore house - when there is an atmosphere of slacking off, or not doing much, especially when it feels like more should be done, this is referred to as a whore house.
1) A drill sergeant enters a tent when everyone is resting when they should be cleaning their guns (oh, yes, we all know this one). "Whore house, eh? 10 seconds everyone outside in threes". This can be translated to English as "think this is a massage parlour? I'm going to show you the meaning of pain!"
2) "You have to take this course - I tell you, it's a crazy whore house" (beit zonot metoraf) - means "you don't do shit in this course; you get a grade for doing practically nothing".
3) "It's a whore house compared to what I had to do" - means it's nothing compared to what I had to do.
- כוסית - kusit - not translateable directly - kus is pussy (as in cunt, not cat), and so it's directly from there - babe, sexy woman. Usually refers to the body, not the face. (Hey, don't blame me - men are pigs.)
"Shioaw, eize kusit." - "fuck, what a babe".
- כוזינה - kuzina - also untranslateable, but also descended from kus - means the same thing as kusit. Even more derogatory (hardly possible, but we managed it!). Used in the same fashion.
- כוסון - kuson - the male version of kusit (yes, this is, too, descended from kus) - the female answer to kusit, kuzon is the female answer to kuzina. Why they didn't make it derogatory using the male bodily part I do not know. Used like kusit, only for men.
- כוס אמק - kus emaq - your mother's cunt - borrowed from Arabic. Just a generic swear word. If you wish to insult, "kus ima shelcha", which is hebrew for "your mother's cunt" is an insult, like "fuck you". "Kus emek", which is Arabic for "your mother's cunt", is more like the English "fuck".
"Kus emek, my car broke down".
When this is just not enough, use:
When this is just not enough, use:
Synonyms for cool
- גנוב - ganuv - stolen - nowadays means more "weird, fucked up".
"Eize ganuv ata" - "you're so stolen" - means "you are so weird".
- מדליק - madliq - lighting (as in lighting a fire or switching on the light) - cool.
- חבל על הזמן - h7aval 3al hazman - a waste of time - this is relatively new. It means extremely good.
"Have you tasted Josh's chocloate cake? It is a waste of time. It is the best cake you ever tasted."
- חבל"ז - h7havlaz - acronym for "chaval al hazman"
- חבל"ז מזמ"ז h7avlaz mazmaz - I guess people thought it sounded cool. Although, IMHO, not everything that rhymes sounds cool, especially not this particular slang, but so be it. It means the same as "chavlaz", but maybe the mazmaz is supposed to make it more emphatic (or something).
- סוף הדרך - sof haderekh - end of the road - really good.
True story - my dad's girflriend was told she looked "sof haderech" (end of the road), and she was depressed for a whole day, as she thought it meant she looked like she's at the end of the road. It really means she looks fantastic.
- סוף הדרך שמאלה - sof haderekh smola - end of the road to the left - like saying "very end of the road". You can also say "end of the road to the right", "end of the road north", etc.
- סופני - sofani - terminal - yes, as in "terminal illness". No, I have no idea where this came from, and it's kind of sick, but it's used as another word for cool.
/Synonyms for cool
- סבבה - sababa - no translation possible, as it doesn't come from any word I know - cool, but not as in "cool car, dude". More like "it'll be cool".
1) "The party was sababa" - the party was cool - not "oh my god, the greatest thing since sliced bread", but cool.
2) "What's his girlfriend like?" "Sababa, a7i" - she's alright, bro.
- ים - yam - sea - a lot of. See next entry for example.
- ים כוסיות - yam kusiot - a sea of babes - just one of the ways to use "yam", but by far the most popular.
"Are you coming to the party? There will be a sea of babes."
- שפיץ - shpits - point (as in the point of a pencil) - like "tota7" - someone who's really good at what he does.
"Can he do differential equaltions?" "It is a waste of your time, he is a point" - means forget, it, dude, he rocks.
- סרטים - sratim - movies - really bad things (things you wish weren't reality).
1) "I got into such movies" - roughly means: I was depressed, and kept seeing the worst of everything, and kept fucking with my own brain.
2) "She made such movies for me yesterday" - roughly means: she gave me a really hard time, and it lasted forever.
- שקוף - shaquf - transparent - obvious.
- שקיף - shaqif - a distortion of shakuf - means the same as shakuf.
- נעל - na3al - shoe - stupid. Comes from "has the IQ of a shoe", but now is standalone.
"She's such a shoe"
- מצב - matsav - situation - "there is a situation" means "it is forseeable", or "it is possible that". Used in two ways: yesh matsav and eyn matsav. See following entries.
- יש מצב - yesh matsav - there is a situation - either as a question, when it means "is there a situation", i.e. could (or will) it happen, or as an answer / statement: "there is a situation", i.e. it will (probably) happen.
1) "Is there a situation that we go to a movie today?" ("Yesh matsav shenelekh leseret?") - basically means "can we go out to a movie today?"
2) "Of course there is a situation" - means sure.
- אין מצב - eyn matsav - there is no situation.
"Is there a situation you'll get some hash for me too?" "Forget it, there isn't a situation, brother." ("Shkach mize, achi, ein matzav").
1) "How are things?" "Don't ask, on the face". Things suck, big time.
2) "The situation is on the face."
- ?למה מי מת - lama mi met? - why who died? - means "what? what happened that I should do this?" Used like "who died and made you king?", usually as a standalone sentence.
1) "Hey, go clean the toilets." "Why who died?"
- זבש"ך - zabashkha - acronym for "zot be3aya shelkha", meaning "it is your problem".
- אס"ק - asaq - acronym for "avirat sof qurs", meaning "end of course atmosphere" - comes from the army. At the end of a course, there is a "beyt zonot" atmosphere, and not much is done.
"I see you're in asak" - I see you're just lounging around as if you're on holiday.
Additional Israeli Slang:
בלבולי ביצים ללא תכלית - Bilbuley Beytsim lelo takhlit - Bullshit, babbling, rambling without a purpose. Rarely used in it full form but often used as it's acronym.
בבל"ת - Bablat - Acronym for Bilbulei Beytsim lelo takhlit.
לך תחפש ת'חברים שלך - Lekh Te7apes ta7averim Shelkha - Go seek your friends. A phrase used to shoo or drive away a person.
לך תחפש - Lekh Te7apes - Go seek. A shorter form for the previous phrase.
תשב בלול - Teshev BaLul - Sit in the playpen. This phrase means that a person should butt out and not intervene i.e. in the conversation, argument, discussion, etc.
אני בנק למסחר - Ani Bank LeMis7ar - I'm the Trading Bank. A recent addition to Hebrew slang. A reference to a bank scandal after which the bank went bankrupt. Means that the person saying the phrase is broke - he or she has no more money left to give to purchase something or especially to return a debt.
רסיסים לריסים - Resisim LaRisim - Ricochets to the eyebrows. Like Pzazot LaRisim only it rhymes.
קאסם שניים לשיניים - Kasam Shnayim LaShinayim - Kasem two to the teeth. The Kasem two is a short-range rocket that the Palestinians use to bombard Israeli territories. This is often used with the Ptsatsot LaGabot, Resisim LaRisim. It simply means something that is cool.
לא רואה ממטר - Lo Ro'e MiMeter - Can't see from a meter. Quite literal. Means that a person cannot see something that is right in front of him or her.
לעבוד בצומת - La3avod BaTsomet - To work at the junction. Means to work as a prostitute and look for job at places where drivers stop, such as junctions.
בלעת מילון - Bala3ta Milon - Did you swallow a dictionary? Asked to degrade a person using florid language.
שרשר - SharShar - A distortion of the Hebrew word for a necklace (Sharsheret), means a large, tacky, cheap gold necklace, often with a large golden medallion hanged on it.
גורמט - Gormet - See SharShar.
ערס - a3ars - Doesn't quite translate to English. In Arabic this word means pimp, but in Hebrew it is a person, usually male, who wears clothing in bright colors, listens to Arabic or trance music and behaves generally like a jerk.
פרחה - Fre7a - A bimbo, ditzy. A woman that wears skimpy clothes with bright colors, high platform shoes and has many piercings. She also usually gives the impression of low intelligence and often speaks bad Hebrew. Promiscuity is often associated with them. It's male counterpart is usually the 3ars rather then the Fre7.
פרח - Fre7 - A male bimbo. The male version of the Fre7a